How to Get Legally Married in Perth

There are a number of steps you need to follow, to get legally married in Australia. Whether you are a planning a big celebration, or an intimate ceremony, the legal requirements are the same.

How do you get legally married in Australia?

  1. Fill out the NOIM (Notice of Intended Marriage) and lodge with your Chosen Celebrant.
  2. Provide Proof of Date and Place of Birth to Celebrant.
  3. Provide Photo Identification to Celebrant.
  4. Provide Other Supporting Documents.
  5. Sign the Declaration of No Legal Impediment.
  6. Marriage Ceremony: Legal Vows.
  7. Sign Marriage Certificates.
  8. Apply for Official Marriage Certificate.

How do I fill out the NOIM?

Once you have chosen an awesome Celebrant, you will need to meet with them to fill out the NOIM (the Notice of Intended Marriage). This needs to be completed and lodged with your Marriage Celebrant no later than one month before your wedding date. You can fill this out up to 18 months before your wedding day, so once you have chosen a Celebrant, I recommend you meet as soon as practical to get everything organised.

What do I need to fill out the NOIM?

Your Celebrant will need to see these original documents when you meet to complete the NOIM:

Proof of Date and Place of Birth:

  • An official birth certificate, or an official extract of an entry in an official register, showing the date and place of birth of each party or
  • Your Passport, which shows your date and place of birth.

Photo Identification:

The Marriage Act states that your marriage celebrant should not solemnise a marriage until he or she is satisfied that both parties are who they claim to be. You will need to provide one of the following:

  • a driver’s licence
  • a Proof of Age/Photo Card
  • a passport (only if it has not been used above as your proof of birth)
  • an Australian citizenship certificate along with another form of photographic evidence.

Proof that you are not already validly married

If you have already been married, evidence of death, nullity or dissolution will need to be provided to your Celebrant.

What is the Declaration of No Legal Impediment?

This Declaration of No Legal Impediment document is a document stating you are not already married and there is no other legal circumstance that would mean you can not get married. The Declaration is printed on the back of the official Marriage Certificate, which your Celebrant will send to the BDM following your wedding, to register your marriage.

At your Rehearsal, or at a time which is convenient, as close to the wedding date as possible, you will be asked to sign the Declaration of No Legal Impediment. Don’t stress – Your Celebrant will go through all this with you!

What do I need to sign on my wedding day?

There will be three Marriage Certificates to sign on the day, your Celebrant will give you one to keep, they will keep one, and the other will be sent by your Celebrant to the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages in the State or Territory where your marriage took place. 

How do I register my Marriage in Australia?

Your Celebrant will send of the official marriage certificates to register your marriage.

You will then need to apply for an Official Marriage Certificate from the WA Department of Births, Deaths & Marriages (or in the State where your Marriage took place). See the BDM Website for more info.

Got Questions?

Please feel free to contact me to discuss any of the above!